MinimServer 2 sets a new direction for MinimServer, with an emphasis on ease of use and a choice of versions to meet the needs of different users.
MinimServer 2 includes all of the functionality provided by previous versions of MinimServer, together with some important new features:
- A choice of versions. The new Starter Edition is simple to use "out of the box" with limited configurability. It is free of charge. The full version of MinimServer 2 requires a paid license and provides all the functionality and configurability of previous versions of MinimServer. For details of the differences between these versions, see the License options page and the Starter Edition page.
- Profiles make it easier to manaqe your configuration settings. You can create multiple profiles with different configuration settings and switch between them easily. You can export and import profiles for backup or sharing with other users.
- The menus that MinimServer shows in your control point app are now fully internationalized with a number of languages already supported and more to come.
- The new web-based configuration interface makes it easier to configure and manage MinimServer from any device that can run a web browser.
- When browsing your library, you can see artwork for artists (and composers, etc.) instead of a generic image.
- When browsing your library, you can see music that has been added recently and music that has been played recently.
- Future enhancements: Other new features that MinimServer users have requested are planned for implementation in MinimServer 2. These include additions to the web-based configuration interface that should eliminate the need to use MinimWatch, improvements to rescanning and much more.
MinimServer 2 is available for the following platforms:
- ASUSTOR (all models)
- Linux (including Raspberry Pi)
- macOS (all versions from 10.7 onwards)
- Melco N1, N1 EX Series, N10 and N100 (all models)
- NETGEAR ReadyNAS (some older models)
- QNAP (all models)
- Synology (all models)
- Windows (all versions from Windows XP onwards)
The following products support MinimServer 2 as an optional installable add-on:
- sonicTransporter (all models)
- SOtM sMS-200, sMS-200neo, sMS-200ultra, sMS-1000SQ
Installing MinimServer 2
For details of how to install MinimServer 2 as a new installation or as an update from MinimServer 0.8, see the Quick Start page.
Existing installations of MinimServer 0.8 will continue to work (except for the functionality provided by MinimStreamer—see below) but will no longer be updated with new features.
The optional MinimStreamer extension has always been licensed for a limited period and this limited period will expire in the near future (see the MinimStreamer page). After this expiry date, MinimStreamer 0.7 will no longer work and users who want to continue using MinimStreamer will need to install MinimServer 2 (the paid full version) and MinimStreamer 2.