MinimServer 2 sets a new direction for MinimServer, with an emphasis on ease of use and a choice of versions to meet the needs of different users.
MinimServer 2 includes all of the functionality provided by previous versions of MinimServer, together with some important new features:
- A choice of versions. The new Starter Edition is simple to use "out of the box" with limited configurability (see the Starter Edition page). It is free of charge. The full version of MinimServer 2 requires a paid license and provides all the functionality and configurability of previous versions of MinimServer.
- Profiles make it easier to manaqe your configuration settings. You can create multiple profiles with different configuration settings and switch between them easily. You can export and import profiles for backup or sharing with other users.
- The menus that MinimServer shows in your control point app are now fully internationalized with a number of languages already supported and more to come.
- The new web-based configuration interface makes it easier to configure and manage MinimServer from any device that can run a web browser, with a goal of eventually eliminating the need to have MinimWatch installed.
- Other new features that many MinimServer users have requested will be implemented in MinimServer 2. These will include the ability to see artwork for artists as well as albums, a simple way to find albums that have been added recently to your library, improvements to rescanning and much more.
MinimServer 2 is available for the following platforms:
- Synology (all models)
- QNAP (all models)
- Windows (all versions from Windows XP onwards)
- Linux (including Raspberry Pi) [NEW]
- macOS (all versions from 10.7 onwards)
- Melco N1, N1 EX Series, N10 and N100 (all models)
Other platforms will be supported later. More details about the timing of this support will be provided in the near future.
MinimServer was first released in 2012. Its key feature was Intelligent Browsing, which enables the user to browse by any tags in any order and automatically adjusts how browsing results are presented based on the contents of the library and previous browsing selections. Since then, many features have been added to MinimServer to make it very configurable and flexible. MinimServer supports a very wide range of platforms including Windows, Mac, Linux and many popular brands of NAS.
The flexibility and configurability of MinimServer comes at a cost of some complexity. The online User guide provides comprehensive information about all features of MinimServer but the size of this guide can make it hard for new users to find information about the basics.
MinimServer has always been free of charge with donations requested. I am very grateful to everyone who sent donations, some of which have been extremely generous. These donations have enabled me to purchase and maintain the equipment that is required to develop and support MinimServer on the many supported platforms. Funding MinimServer development from donations worked well in the early days of MinimServer but has now become unsustainable becauses donations have been reducing over recent years while the support workload and associated costs have been growing. Because of this, it is no longer viable to continue enhancing MinimServer with new features while making it available free of charge. It also doesn't seem fair that many users who have not donated enjoy the same features and benefits as those who donate.
To address all these issues, MinimServer 2 is available as two versions. The new Starter Edition is easy to install and use and has limited configurability. It is the entry point to MinimServer and it is free of charge. The full version of MinimServer 2 is a paid upgrade that provides all the functionality and configurability of previous versions of MinimServer together with the new features described in the Features section above and further enhancements in the future. For more details of the differences between these versions, see the License options page.
Existing installations of MinimServer will continue to work indefinitely but will no longer be updated with new features.
The optional MinimStreamer extension has always been licensed for a limited period and this limited period will expire in the near future. After this expiry date, existing installations of MinimStreamer will no longer work and users who want to continue using MinimStreamer will need to install MinimServer 2 (the paid full version) and MinimStreamer 2. This expiry will not happen until MinimServer 2 and MinimStreamer 2 are available for all platforms that are currently supported by MinimServer.