Installing MinimWatch 2 on Windows
Table of contents
[NEW] Installing Java on Windows
MinimWatch is written in Java and needs the Java runtime to be installed. You can use any version of the Java runtime from Java 8 onwards.
The Java runtime for Windows is available in 64-bit and 32-bit versions. MinimWatch supports both of these. If you are using 64-bit Windows, you should use 64-bit Java unless you already have 32-bit Java installed for compatibility with a 32-bit web browser. If you are using 32-bit Windows, you need to use 32-bit Java.
If you don't have Java installed or if your Java version is older than Java 8, download and install the current version of the Oracle Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from this page. To ensure you get the correct version of Java (64-bit or 32-bit, as described above), choose either the Windows Offline (64-bit) download to install 64-bit Java or the Windows Offline download to install 32-bit Java.
Installing or updating MinimWatch 2 on Windows
MinimWatch 2 is compatible with MinimServer 2 and also with previous versions of MinimServer.
MinimWatch needs the Java runtime to be installed. For installation instructions, see the Installing Java on Windows section.
- If a previous version of MinimWatch is running, select Exit from the minim icon. It's best not to uninstall the previous version of MinimWatch.
- [NEW] On the MinimServer 2 Downloads page, find the Windows row in the table of MinimWatch downloads and click the download link for Intel.
- Accept the license and download the installer file. Ignore any warnings saying that this file will damage your system. The downloaded file is .
- Double-click the downloaded file to launch the Windows installer for MinimWatch. Ignore any warnings saying that this will damage your system.
- If a User Account Control dialog appears, choose "Allow" or "Yes". Ignore any warnings saying that this will damage your system.
- Follow the instructions in the installer prompts.
Select the option to launch MinimWatch when the installation is finished.
You can also launch MinimWatch by double-clicking the MinimWatch launch icon
on the desktop.
Note: When you double-click the desktop launch icon to launch MinimWatch, another program (such as WinRAR) might open or you might get a prompt asking you what to do with the mwatch.jar file. This means that the .jar file extension (used to launch MinimWatch) isn't correctly associated with the Java runtime. To fix this, you can use the Jarfix program.
MinimWatch will display a tray icon for each MinimServer instance running
on another computer or NAS on your local network.
The tray icon has a minim symbol and its colour shows the status of the MinimServer instance:
- If the icon is yellow, MinimServer is starting
- If the icon is green, MinimServer is running normally
- If the icon is red, MinimServer has detected an error
- If the icon is white, MinimServer is stopped
- If the icon is grey, no instances of MinimServer were detected
Note 1: The minim icon might appear in the overflow area of the system tray (accessed by clicking the upward-pointing arrow icon in the system tray). On Windows 10, the system tray is described as the taskbar notification area, the icons in the overflow area are described as hidden icons and the upward-pointing arrow icon is described as the Show hidden icons arrow.
Note 2: A MinimServer instance running on the same computer isn't displayed as a MinimWatch tray icon. This would be confusing because it's already displayed as a MinimServer tray icon.
- For each tray icon that isn't grey, you can right-click on the tray icon and use the tray icon's pop-up menu to configure and manage the MinimServer instance that the tray icon represents. See the Controlling MinimServer using the minim icon section for details of the available menu selections.
- If MinimServer is running on another computer or NAS but the MinimWatch minim icon remains grey, you might need to update your Windows firewall settings. In the list of inbound rules, there should be entries to allow TCP and UDP access for Java(TM) Platform SE binary.
Uninstalling MinimWatch 2 on Windows
Before uninstalling MinimWatch, make sure MinimWatch isn't running. If MinimWatch is running, select Exit from the minim icon before starting the uninstallation.
To uninstall MinimWatch, open the Control Panel and select Programs and Features. Scroll to the entry for MinimWatch and double-click it to run the uninstaller.