Installing MinimServer 2 on a Melco N1 (not EX Series)
This page describes how to install MinimServer 2 on a Melco N1 (not EX Series) running firmware 3.92 or lower.
For details of how to install MinimServer 2 on a Melco N1 EX Series, N10 or N100, see this page.
Before you start
If your Melco N1 is running MinimServer 0.8 with firmware 3.91 or lower, you need to be aware of the following points:
- In order to install MinimServer 2, you first need to update your firmware to 3.92.
- On firmware 3.91 or lower, it is possible to run MinimServer 0.8 and Twonky at the same time, although this isn't recommended because of issues with performance and sound quality. When you update your firmware to 3.92 and install MinimServer 2, it isn't possible to run MinimServer 2 and Twonky at the same time. Enabling MinimServer 2 automatically disables Twonky and enabling Twonky automatically disables MinimServer 2.
- If Twonky is disabled, you can't browse or play songs from the Melco front panel. Instead, you need to use a UPnP control app running on some other device.
- MinimServer 0.8 is free of charge for its full functionality (with donations requested). MinimServer 2 is free of charge for the Starter Edition, which has limited configurability (see the Starter Edition page). To use the full functionality of MinimServer 2, you need to pay a license fee (see the License options page).
- If for any reason you want to go back to MinimServer 0.8 after trying MinimServer 2, you can do this by downgrading from the 3.92 firmware to the 3.91 firmware and reinstalling MinimServer 0.8 from a flash drive. When you do this, your configuration settings from your previous MinimServer 0.8 installation will be restored automatically.
Updating your firmware
If your Melco N1 is running firmware 3.91 or lower, you need to update your firmware before you can install MinimServer 2. This section describes how to do this firmware update.
If your Melco N1 is running firmware version 3.92, continue with the instructions in the next section.
- If you haven't already disabled Twonky from Settings > Media Server > Twonky Service, do this now before you update your firmware.
- Install the Melco 3.92 firmware using System Update > Internet
- When your N1 restarts, MinimServer 0.8 will still be running
Installing MinimServer 2
- If your Melco N1 isn't already running firmware 3.92, update your firmware as described in the previous section.
- From the Melco front panel main menu, select Settings > Music Database > Media Server App
- If MinimServer 0.8 was running before you updated your firmware to 3.92, it will be running now. Even though MinimServer 0.8 is running, the Media Server App menu doesn't show this. Instead, either the Off setting or TwonkyServer setting is shown as selected. This is because the 3.92 firmware is not fully compatible with MinimServer 0.8.
- Select MinimServer
- The version of MinimServer 2 to be installed will be shown
- Select OK to download and install MinimServer 2
- The Media Server App menu will show MinimServer as selected. MinimServer is now starting. Installing and selecting MinimServer automatically stops TwonkyServer.
- If you were previously running MinimServer 0.8, some of your property settings from MinimServer 0.8 might not be active. This is because you are running MinimServer 2 Starter Edition, which has limited configurability. Your previous property settings will be enabled automatically when you activate a free 30-day trial of the full version of MinimServer 2 or when you purchase and activate a MinimServer 2 full license.
- If you were previously running MinimStreamer on MinimServer 0.8, MinimStreamer will no longer be installed. If you want to use MinimStreamer, you need to install MinimStreamer 2 by following the instructions in the Installing MinimStreamer section. Your previous MinimStreamer property settings will be migrated automatically.
- MinimServer 2 will scan your music library. This scan might take some time.
- You can check whether the scan is still running by selecting Status > Music Database from the front panel. If this shows 'Starting', the scan is still running. If this shows 'Running', the scan has finished.
- When the scan has finished, MinimServer 2 will appear in your UPnP control app
- You can use your UPnP control app to browse your library and select music for playing
- To activate a free 30-day trial of the full version of MinimServer 2, open the MinimServer 2 configuration web page by selecting Settings > Music Database > Configure MinimServer from the Melco front panel main menu and copy the URL shown there into the address bar of a web browser. After clicking through the License page and Welcome page, select the License tab and follow the instructions there.
- For information about purchasing a MinimServer 2 full license, see this page. After purchasing the license, you need to activate it on your Melco. To do this, open the MinimServer 2 configuration page as described above, select the License tab and follow the instructions there.