Installing MinimServer on a NETGEAR ReadyNAS
This page describes how to install MinimServer on the Intel and ARM models of the NETGEAR ReadyNAS.
Note: You can install MinimServer on the ReadyNAS NV+ v2, Duo v2, Ultra, Pro and NVX. There isn't currently an installation package for the current ReadyNAS series (models 102, 104, 312, 314, 316, 516 and 716).
MinimServer is written in Java and requires Java 7 or later to be installed. For details of how to install Java, see the Installing Java on a NETGEAR ReadyNAS page.
Installing or updating MinimServer
- Download the MinimServer ReadyNAS add-on. If you have a ReadyNAS NV+ v2 or Duo v2, download the file MinimServer-0.8.4-readynas-arm.bin from the Downloads page. If you have a ReadyNAS Ultra, Pro or NVX, download the file MinimServer-0.8.4-readynas-x86.bin from the Downloads page.
- From the ReadyNAS Frontview Add-ons page, install the MinimServer add-on. If you've got a previous version of MinimServer already installed, you don't need to remove MinimServer before you install the new version. If you remove MinimServer before installing the new version, you should choose the option to keep your configuration settings so you don't need to re-enter them after installing the new version.
- MinimServer should now be running, and you should be able to see it in a UPnP control point. If you can't see it, go to the Info page in Frontview and view the log messages to check whether there's an error message from MinimServer. If the log doesn't show any MinimServer errors, see the Startup problems section for further suggestions.
The MinimServer add-on sets the initial content directory to
/c/media/Musicif this directory exists or else to
/c/mediaif this directory exists. The content directory is the top-level directory that contains your music files.
If your music files are in some other location, you can open the
MinimServer status web page in a web browser as described in the
Web browser status page section
and use this page to change the content directory setting. For example, if your music files are in the
MyMusic, you need to set the content directory to
- If your music files are in more than one location, you need to install MinimWatch on another computer (Windows, Mac or Linux) and use MinimWatch to add additional content directories. Installing MinimWatch also allows you to monitor the status of MinimServer and change the MinimServer configuration settings. You can find instructions for installing MinimWatch on the Installing page.
- After installing MinimWatch, it's a good idea to check the MinimServer log to see if there are any warning or error messages about problems found by MinimServer while scanning your music files. To do this, right-click on the MinimWatch tray icon and select "Show log". A warning in the log means that MinimServer has found something wrong with a file, but has been able to read the file and make it available for browsing and playing. An error in the log means that MinimServer wasn't able to read the file. If you see a message you don't understand, you can get help by creating a new thread in the MinimServer support forum as described on the Support page.
- MinimServer will continue to run while the NAS is powered on, and it will restart automatically when the NAS is restarted.
- You can disable MinimServer from the Frontview Add-ons page. This stops MinimServer immediately, and prevents it from starting when the NAS is restarted. MinimServer is still installed on the NAS, and you can re-enable it at any time from the Frontview Add-ons page.
Startup problemsIf you can't see MinimServer in a UPnP control point after it's been installed and enabled, here are some suggestions that may be helpful.
- Disable MinimServer from the Frontview Add-ons page, then re-enable MinimServer.
- If MinimServer still isn't running, leave MinimServer enabled and restart the NAS.
- If MinimServer still isn't running, install MinimWatch on another computer and start MinimWatch. If MinimServer has encountered an error while starting, you should see a red MinimWatch tray icon with a pop-up message describing the startup error. You may be able to get more information about the error by selecting "Show log" from the MinimWatch tray icon.
- If MinimServer has failed to start, the MinimWatch tray icon will be grey. If this happens, please submit a problem report as described on the Support page. When describing the problem, please say which of the above steps you have tried and what the results were.
To uninstall MinimServer, go to the Frontview add-ons page and remove the MinimServer add-on. This will stop MinimServer if it's running and will remove MinimServer from the NAS.
You'll get a prompt giving you the option to remove or retain your configuration settings. If you're planning to reinstall MinimServer in the future, you should retain these settings so you don't need to enter them again.