Installing MinimWatch on Mac
Installing Java on Mac
MinimWatch runs on all versions of macOS and Mac OS X from Lion (10.7) onwards. MinimWatch needs Java 7 or later to be installed on your Mac. To download and install the latest version of Java, do the following:
- Visit the Free Java Download page and click the "Free Java Download" button.
- After the download has completed, double-click the downloaded file.
- You should see a window containing a package icon. Double-click this icon and follow the installation prompts.
Installing or updating MinimWatch on Mac
- MinimWatch requires Java 7 or later. For installation instructions, see the Installing Java on Mac section.
- If a previous version of MinimWatch is installed, click Exit from the minim icon and drag the MinimWatch application to the trash.
- Download the file MinimWatch-0.8.5.2-macosx.dmg from the Downloads page.
- Open this disk image and drag the MinimWatch application into your Applications folder.
If this is the first time you have downloaded MinimWatch, you need to confirm that
MinimWatch is a safe application. To do this,
hold down the Ctrl key, click the MinimWatch application and choose Open
from the shortcut menu. You will see a message saying '"MinimWatch" is from
an unidentified developer. Are you sure you want to open it?'. Click Open.
Note: If you double-click the MinimWatch application to open it in the usual way, you will see a message saying '"MinimWatch" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.' Click OK to dismiss this message, then use Ctrl+click to open MinimWatch as described above.
- If you have downloaded MinimWatch previously, double-click the MinimWatch application. You will see a message saying '"MinimWatch" is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?'. Click Open.
- You might see a message saying 'Do you want the application "MinimWatch" to accept incoming network connections?'. If you see this message, click Allow and then click Refresh from the minim icon on the menu bar (see below).
- The MinimWatch icon (a musical minim note) will appear towards the right of the menu bar. If you click on this, you will see a menu with various selections. There might be more than one of these minim icons.
You should see a minim icon for each MinimServer
instance that's running on another computer or NAS on your local network.
The colour of the minim icon shows the status of the MinimServer instance:
- If the icon is pale yellow, MinimServer is starting
- If the icon is transparent, MinimServer is running normally
- If the icon is red, MinimServer has detected an error
- If the icon is pale blue (white on Mac OS X Mavericks or earlier), MinimServer is stopped
- If the icon is dark grey, no instances of MinimServer were detected
Note: A MinimServer instance running on the same computer isn't displayed as a MinimWatch minim icon. This would be confusing because it's already displayed as a MinimServer minim icon.
For each minim icon that isn't dark grey, you can use the icon's pop-up menu
to configure and manage the MinimServer instance that the icon represents.
See the Controlling MinimServer using the minim icon
section for details of the available menu selections.
Note: You can't interact with MinimWatch via normal menu bar selections such as Edit and View. Also, there isn't a MinimWatch application icon in the Dock. Instead, you need to use menu selections from the minim icon in the menu bar.
Uninstalling MinimWatch on Mac
Before uninstalling MinimWatch, make sure MinimWatch isn't running.
To uninstall MinimWatch, drag the MinimWatch application to the trash.
Uninstalling MinimWatch doesn't delete your MinimWatch configuration settings. This is useful if you want to reinstall MinimWatch or move up to a newer version.