Installing MinimServer on Mac
Installing Java on Mac
MinimServer runs on all versions of macOS and Mac OS X from Lion (10.7) onwards. MinimServer needs Java 7 or later to be installed on your Mac. To download and install the latest version of Java, do the following:
- Visit the Free Java Download page and click the "Free Java Download" button.
- After the download has completed, double-click the downloaded file.
- You should see a window containing a package icon. Double-click this icon and follow the installation prompts.
Installing or updating MinimServer on Mac
- MinimServer requires Java 7 or later. For installation instructions, see the Installing Java on Mac section.
- If a previous version of MinimServer is installed, click Exit from the minim icon and drag the MinimServer application to the trash.
- Download the file MinimServer-0.8.5.2-macosx.dmg from the Downloads page.
- Double-click this file. This opens a window containing two files: LICENSE.txt and MinimServer. Drag the file named MinimServer from this window into your Applications folder.
If this is the first time you have downloaded MinimServer, you need to confirm that
MinimServer is a safe application. To do this,
hold down the Ctrl key, click the MinimServer application in your Applications folder and choose Open
from the shortcut menu. You will see a message saying '"MinimServer" is from
an unidentified developer. Are you sure you want to open it?'. Click Open.
Note: If you double-click the MinimServer application to open it in the usual way, you will see a message saying '"MinimServer" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.' Click OK to dismiss this message, then use Ctrl+click to open MinimServer as described above.
- If you have downloaded MinimServer previously, double-click the MinimServer application in your Applications folder. You will see a message saying '"MinimServer" is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?'. Click Open.
- You might see a message saying 'Do you want the application "MinimServer.app" to accept incoming network connections?'. If you see this message, click Allow.
The MinimServer icon (a musical minim note) will appear towards the right of the menu bar.
If you click on this, you will see a menu with various selections.
Note: You can't interact with MinimServer via normal menu bar selections such as Edit and View. Also, there isn't a MinimServer application icon in the Dock. Instead, you need to use menu selections from the minim icon in the menu bar.
If this is a new MinimServer installation, the minim icon will be pale yellow and a
dialog will prompt you to select the initial content directory. This is the
top-level folder that contains your music files. Navigate to this folder,
then press the Select button. If you need to add additional content directories,
you can do this later.
Note: If your music files are on an external disk, you need to start by selecting 'Macintosh HD' from the directory list (below the "File:" entry field). Look for 'Volumes' in the list of files, and double-click this entry. You should now see all your disks, including external disks. Navigate to the external disk and folder containing your music files, and press Select.
- MinimServer will scan all your music files and complete its startup. This will take a bit longer than usual if it's the first time you've done this. If startup is successful, the minim icon in the menu bar will become transparent. If startup fails for any reason, the minim icon will change to red and you'll see a message describing the problem.
- It's a good idea to check the MinimServer log to see if there are any warning or error messages about problems found by MinimServer while scanning your music files. To do this, right-click on the minim icon and select 'Show log'. A warning in the log means that MinimServer has found something wrong with a file but has been able to read the file and make it available for browsing and playing. An error in the log means that MinimServer wasn't able to read the file. If you see a message you don't understand, you can get help by creating a new thread in the MinimServer support forum as described on the Support page.
- If MinimServer has started successfully, you can now use a UPnP control point to browse your music library and select and play music. You can also use the minim icon menu to configure and manage MinimServer. See the Controlling MinimServer using the minim icon section for details of the available menu selections.
Uninstalling MinimServer on Mac
Before uninstalling MinimServer, make sure MinimServer isn't running.
To uninstall MinimServer, drag the MinimServer application to the trash.
Uninstalling MinimServer doesn't delete your MinimServer configuration settings. This is useful if you want to reinstall MinimServer or move up to a newer version.